Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Beef Stew

I have to much time on my hands right now---so opted to cook a meal from scratch, to kill the time, and not to mention do something to balance the old budget. (now only if somebody would get the cook in balance somewhat mutters---)

So I made use of the standard chunks of beef round, coated in flower and a splash of Lemon pepper, browned on all sides in a couple tablespoons of canola oil, and to that added water, chopped up celery (2 stocks), and a couple big carrots cut into bite sized pieces, two potatoes cut into pieces and a can of whole tomatoes. I also added about a quarter teaspoon of Lee&Perrins worchestire sauce.--- put lid on and simmer for about two or three hours, add small can of peas during the last 10 minutes-----good with hot rolls or thick slices of French bread.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds good, Gary. I love beef stew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get some very fine cuts of meat that are "Reduced for Quick Sale". If you don't cook them the same day, put the meat in your freezer and you can have it later. We never leave the store without checking the day old bread sale and the meat counter for reduced prices. We also freeze the day old bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beef stew, yummy! Any more when I read your blog, whatever you're eating is something I havent' had in awhile, so I'll have to make some. It's cool enough here right now for some good old stew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm firing up the car, and I'll be there by suppertime.

    Your meal sounds great, Gary. Glad to hear you're taking things day by day and trying to stay busy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, Yum, Yummmmmmmmmm! This sounds so good Gary ... hope you enjoyed your dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good to me!! How did it turn out? Where's the photo of the finished product? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I my dad used to make beef stew from scratch. Took him a few days at the least to do it. He always made it in this huge ALuminum pot. The more it was re heated the better it was. Your post brought iy all back. The flour on the beef especially. That used to be my job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it turned out reasonably well, but damn I forgot to put the bay leaf in, drats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so good. Try adding frozen okra, black eyed peas and corn. It really adds a lot of flavor and if you want to be bold add a 1/4 cup of small elbow macaroni in the last 15 minutes.

    I don't think we have any reduced cuts of meat in our area like Granny Annie. I wonder if that is a Calif. thing?

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.