Sunday, November 2, 2008

I STILL DON'T WANNA----BUT---(SOB)

Normally, if normal can ever be applied to me, I would have gone out and done My weekly shopping yesterday . (saturday), but in a fit of rebellion I allowed myself to procrastinate and put it off----well NOW I no longer have that luxury---am down to to cans of beer, so gonna HAVE to go out and get provisions, so might as well go to the damn supermarket as well.

I remember as a kid, grocery stores use to be kinda neat. everyone smiled and seemed to know each others names, I can even remember buying cambells cream of tomato soup, five cans for a $1.00, and (laugh) I well remember, when the family moved to California (home of happy cows), and I got sent to the store to get a quart of milk, came back home told my mom the store was out of milk, got sent back to the store , and subsequently learned that milk was sold in those funny waxed boxes, rather than the clear round glass bottles I had always seen it sold in!! (live and learn right?).  I read someplace , that in Europe,  milk and cream is sold in pyramind shaped containers that keeps them fresh longer?? does anyone know anything about that?

Then after the big war, WW II, the grocery stores expanded into what we now call the supermarkets, where nobody knows your name, everyone is in a hurry, nobody smiles while shopping anymore---except the masochist's.  The supermarkets are vast football field sized offerings of everything in the way of food and household items known to mankind.  The stores offer not only a cornicopia of food stuffs, they also have toys, Bar-B-Q gear, lawn furniture, T-shirts, socks, Throw rugs, dishes, silverware, knives, razors and blades (I remember when one had to go to the Drugstore for those).

In the old days one went to the store and bought tomatoes and fruit when they were in season .  Now we import food all year round  from just about every country in the world.  You want tomatoes today---you have to decide between about 8 different varieties.  Coffee, oh my look at all the different brands and flavors to choose from, then one has to decide if one wants whole bean or ground.  At my local Ralph's, if one would like to buy some soup---Ralphs has about 30 feet of soups to choose from---(but they never seem to have campbells Cream of Asperagas in stock??).  The point being shopping is no longer any fun, its a real pain in the rear end.----well do have to admit its kinda fun to crawl through the produce dept, and check out all the wild foreign  lettuces, and beans and mushroooms and stuff ----not that I would eat any of it mind ya.

Anyway, today I will go to the supermarket, get my weeks worth of food (and oh yeah razor blades), I want to pick up some flour tortillias, am gonna make a stab at making them Egg burritos Judi mentioned earlier in one of her comments on my page----maybe with luck she'll post the whole recipe??  (hint hint). 

13 comments:

  1. You must try Morrison's Pepper Gravy Mix. It is $2.58 for a package that makes a gallon of gravy. You only add water and it is delicious. You can't buy a gallon of milk for $2.58.

    Now about grocery stores as opposed to supermarkets. If it were not for our local grocer in 1965 I would have gone through iife not knowing how to cut up a chicken. I was a young, stupid 19 year old bride and the kind butcher invited me for show and tell as he cut up the chickens for the day. I think of that everytime I cut up a chicken (from the store and certainly not one of MY girls!)

    Speaking of chickiens, your annimated chicken is too wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary you have to original on the egg burritos. I use scrambled eggs, Potatoes, cheddar cheese and anything else you might have in the fridge. Bacon or ham is good. I even put in left over steak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL----ahh the ever popular clean out the fridge menu----KNEW I would love it. So you warm up the stuff, scramble the eggs, junk it all together into a mulligan, and wrap it in a tortilla and bake til the cheese is melted------okaaaaay I can do THAT!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I do the breakfast burritos as well, sort of a "south of the border" version. I use scrambled eggs, crumbled sausage, bell pepper, and onion -- serve it with sour cream and salsa. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just prefer a spicy fritata. I'm mentioning that very thing tomorrow in a post. In lieu of a big holiday dinner, it'll be something good, spicy and strange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new look of your blog is wonderful! I am going to get all caught up on my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm back from Phoenix after 5 days and have alot of reading your blog, Judi's, Missy's, etc. I'm ready to come up for lunch after the election. I'm thinking of next week, say Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah - the milk in Europe is different - and way better. When I was in England they served me fruit and cream. It was SO good... Why did you have to mention that? Now I want some :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come in Gary, when you talk about "grocery stores where everyone smiled and seemed to know each others names" you are talking about a time that those under 20years old cannot know. It was a good time isn't it ? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course, I'm one of those that couldn't possibly remember any of niceties of shopping like that. Nor glass bottles for milk.

    Can't wait to vote tomorrow, never been so excited to do that. I noticed your google ads are showing yes on prop 8...you for that? (Hit your competitive ad filter in google if not...not that it will matter much I suspect...time is too short now.)

    Cheers Old Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the neighborhood grocer. Ours was a block down the street, John's Market. And John was also the butcher. He knew all us kids by name and who our parents were. The cashier's name was Doris, she had the longest red fingernails that she ran up and down the keys as she rang up the groceries. Things really are different now. Sometimes progress is not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really don't like to grocery shop. Since my husband passed I buy stuff and I don't even eat it! I don't feel like cooking for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.