Monday, November 24, 2008

FIRST THE FIRES---NOW THE MUDSLIDES

Every year we go through this cycle here in Los Angles. We get hit by forrest fires and we all stay glued to our TV's to watch the conflagation and worry about our family and friends who live in areas near the fire. Last year I worried about my Nephew Eric, with the fire in the Poway area, also at the same time Judi and my Nephew Peter were under evacuation orders with the fire near Fallbrook (the town of fallbrook was almost evacuated), Tish was inundated with heavy atmospheric smoke and ash from the fires near her place. So far this year have not had quite that much worry, although for a time I worried about my oldest Nephew Edward as he lives in Corona, and they had a large fire near them.

Now the fires our out, but we now get the rain, if its heavy, we will get mudslides off the burned hillsides, and much feverish sandbagging is going on in those affected areas. and once again we will be given live coverage of those disasters. It is truly not my favorite time of year here in my area. Hopefully the rain will come slow and light, and the dry ground will absorb it, without turning into walls of mud running down the hillsides . Time will tell------.

7 comments:

  1. This is why I'm glad I live in PA. I'll take the cold spells any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I live in Tennesse...oh wait..we have Tornados! No matter where I live there's always something. In my home state of Washington it was earthquakes and the threat of the volcanos. In Calif it was fires and earthquakes. Here in Tennessee...it's the ever popular tornados.
    I pray you and your family stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup Gary, it's that time of year again for sure. I get tired of the constant coverage, isn't there something else happening in the world...like a war perhaps? Don't hear much about that anymore do we...

    Hope the storms treat you nicely. Perhaps the Fluff and Fold won't be necessary if you hang your clothes on a line in the backyard? Auto wash?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine dealing with that kind of weather and conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary, I don't know what you mean by double spacing between paragraphs. It looks ok on MY monitor. Anyway, I want to keep everything on my blog as is, I just want to be able to stretch TWO outhouses across the top with a line of clothes between them, and keep the photo of the hound dog. Nothing much, just fine tuning.

    I live in Indiana where we only have to worry about tornadoes and 12 inches of snow and electric wires coming down. Mudslides? Too evil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you and your's miss the seasonal extremes that seem to love your state. Is it my imagination or do these seasonal variances seem to have picked up more intensity than they had in the past. Seems I don't remember the fires as being so huge back when I was a kid. Maybe it's just they are in the news in a bigger way now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MRMacrum: Its a bit more tragic as over the years, the growth in population has invited more and more people to push into the canyons and onto the hills, so more housing and people are at risk---that and the fact we are in the middle of a long draught, water is on the verge of being rationed, even now lawn watering is limite dot set hours.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.