Saturday, November 15, 2008

FORAGING TIME---(sometimes called saturday)

Some people live to eat, while others just eat to live-----the difference between these types is how many trips to the supermarket they make in a given week. I use to think the difference between these type of people was in how much weight they were toting around, but I have learned as I got older that is not a good means of measuring as some people can put on weight just by watching others eat, while some can lose weight even as hey eat---(I HATE those people).

I have perused the larder here at the Palace, and well its getting kinda bleak---I'm over stocked on Arrowhead water, paper towels and Tomato Sauce----and out of everything else-----this last week or so has been kinda surreal-----but now I have to get back on the horse and---well at least venture forth and get some food in the house---its SUPERMARKET TIME!!

For the last couple decades I have gone to the store shopping for two----but now I only have to shop for just one------I am sitting here thinking about making a list and it occurs to me that I consciously have to remember now not to over buy foodstuffs that have a limited shelf life, (IE;, lettuce and other perishables)---and it occurs to me to that now when I cook a meal, I need to only prepare half of my recipes, unless of course I want to create a ton of left overs, which then reminds me of one of Erma Bombecks remarks---leftovers are okay, it takes a week to make garbage!!

I am sure all of you have in your hours of waiting in line to check out of the grocery store observed those individuals ahead of you in line, that are buying the small individual servings of soups, and frozen entrees, maybe a small piece of fruit and 27 cans of cat food----I am determined not to become one of those sad lonely people. I will buy in bulk, and learn how to make use of freezer bags, and keep the place stocked so should the occasion arise, I can whip up a dinner for 4-6 people, and I am determined to not lean on frozen entrees for the bulk of my meals, but to cook up good healthy meals from scratch---like what the heck I can burn meat with the best of em when I apply myself.(LOL)

OKAAAY, I'm glad we had this little talk, yeahh its gonna be okay----I can do it, I CAN go to the store and all I need to do is maintain some semblence of sanity and not over buy---I mean even if the price is right, not gonna buy 25 pound sack of potatoes----ten pounds is enough right?

LOOKOUT RALPH'S---ready or not, here comes the old Dude!!

7 comments:

  1. You are on the right track thinking about freezing left overs. I have posted a recope on my blog today that you could make and then freeze the rest in freezer bags for small containers. I can only imagine the difficult adjustments you have ahead but you can do it. I feel such sadness for your loss.

    Now about this shopping business. Don't you think that driving lanes in the store aisles along with signal lights on the carts would make shopping more pleasant? Oh yes, and loud horns for those people blocking the aisles while they talk on their cell phones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had a short power failure here, which of course blew me off line, came back on, saw you had made a post read it, commented, THEN went back and saw I had a new comment on MY post and ---great its freezable, writing it down and putting it in my recipe box---and now that the power is back on, it means that ralph's is able to function with their electronic cash registers-----

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary,
    I'm always admirative of you. So much positive thoughts and so much things to think.
    If God lends me life (I'm not sure this is the good way to say that it's not english) I would like to be like you when I'am three score plus ten ! Positive and with joie de vivre !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think leftovers always taste better. It gives the seasoning time to set in. So making something you really like and freezing some for later is definitely a wise move....especially since you are going to buy in bulk. My circumstances are definitely not like yours, but as the kids grew older and parents passed away, I went from cooking for 6-12 to only cooking for 2. It was definitely an adjustment and even now some things I still cook for an army. Thank God Hut likes leftovers, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it difficult to learn to cook for one after my husband died. What I ended up doing is continue to cook for two, and ate the "extas" the next day either for lunch or dinner. Once in a while I will still make a pot of spagehtti, that will last me at least five meals and sometimes I'll make a batch of Chili...again lasting for several meals.
    I've learned to lean on the selections of Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers frozen dinners though...just to keep my weight in check. Of course there is always Take Out! lol but the gets a bit expensive. Have a good weekend mf!
    (you're not close to those fires are u?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. After my divorce, my refrigerator remained empty. I spent my time (and lack of income) on grabbing crackers with some peanut butter and shoving them in my mouth just to remain alive.

    But I have a helpful suggestion for you: Please go to a local store like Walmart and buy a FOOD SAVER or comparable food storage machine. They come with rolls of plastic bags.

    But your raw food in bulk, then freeze the extra meat just to stop the juices from flowing. Then you put the extra meat into a bag and use the FOOD SAVER to remove all air around the meat. It locks it down air tight and will be fresh for a year.

    OR, after your meal, take a clean plate and place the leftovers on the plate like a TV Dinner. Stick the plate into a plastic sleeve and use your FOOD SAVER to remove all air.

    A week, a month, 10 months later, pop in it the microwave and it comes out as fresh as the day you made it.

    I used this option whenever I'd have left-overs from restaurants or someone would send me home with food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap, Dana, I was just about to give that same piece of advice about the Foodsaver. Are we two great minds or what?

    Anyway, Foodsaver is da bomb for keeping things fresh, in the fridge, freezer, or on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.