Friday, June 6, 2008

About Names

Whats in a name you ask---guess depends on each individuals experiences, education etc, etc.. Example, most everyone educated in the US of A until maybe 1960 ---pretty much knows the name and story of John Smith and Pochahantas----so hearing the name John Smith, they immediately flash on that story and associate the name with it----ditto many other names, Mickey Mouse for example (don't ya love the expression---"what the F*** is THIS MICKEY MOUSE CRAP"?

My older brother (actually my only sibling), was named Francis (he survived childhood, and everyone called him Frank---if when debating with him I called Him FRANCIS, I would end the debates on a ugly note, as he would realize I had lost the fun the fun of the argument)---When it came time for my entrance to the world, MOM, bless her heart, was enraptured with the movie Gone With The Wind (or GWTW As us film buffs refer to it), and was hot to name me Rhett, after Rhett Butler (played by Clark Gable, in the movie). My father immediately rejected that name ---knowing how cruel kids could be----Rhett would quickly morph into RETCH on the playground----(thank you father), but not to be denied, he did allow her to name me Gary---officially I was told much later --- in honor of Judge Albert Gary of Gary, Indiana fame. However kind of suspect, Mom denied the Clark Gable role, opted for the tall good looking Gary Cooper image----"yep"

Its amazing what names parents lay on their kids---and its also amazing how many kids rise above their names. I'm thinking names like Orville Reddenbacher or how about my blogging friend Scarlet Virago?? or Wayne John, like hello??---, with names like that----well ya just gotta be good right?. Did I mention my last name is Gilmore----Gary Gilmore???

7 comments:

  1. Now wait a minute! I KNOW you know that scarletvirago is a psuedonym because you posted a comment on my entry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, but figured if I could throw a few new faces your way---?? my way of thanks for YOUR taking the time to comment on my blog---sure hope your not gonna run home to "Tara" Scarlet---frankly I DO give a damn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gary...I got this in an email from a friend of mine. Since I could'nt forward it to you (don't have your email) I thought I'd leave it for you here. I thought of you when I read it...not that you're old...just thought you'd get a kick out of it!


    Senior Citizens Are Valuable:
    We are more valuable than any of the younger generations:
    We have silver in our hair.
    We have gold in our teeth.
    We have stones in our kidneys.
    We have lead in our feet and.
    We are loaded with natural gas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Names are odd. I remember when i was naming my children Agnes had a great input in that conversation. This could be a week long blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder when "Mickey Mouse" first came to be used as an insult. Also, a friend of one of my colleagues has taken some kidding the past few years. His last name is Laden. His first name is Benjamin.
    ===================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many years ago I was a photographer. Mainly portraits so I came across some unusual names.
    Names like: Ima Hogg, Wells Fargo and the strangest of all 7 and 5/8ths Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I should start calling you GG. :) Hey, I did a post on names.

    In China, a Chinese couple tried to name their baby “@.”

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.