Sunday, June 15, 2008

Friends of friends---and things that go bump in the night

(here is a pic of Midge taken at a recent gathering of he SOCDS -----)
Having mentioned my experience with self checkout---I received a couple comments about others experiences , likes and dislikes about supermarkets. I would be amiss if I didn't confess that one of my regular coffee mates at the SOCDS meetings, is Midge LeBelle. Midge was a career supermarket checker---and the stories SHE could tell---about the coupon queens, those trying to beat the food stamp program etc, etc, etc. Trust me, looking at things from the Checker's side of the counter explains a lot--------oooh by the way Midge LeBelle is her MARRIED name---her husband is ----Gene LeBelle----"THE GENE LEBELLE". popularly known as "Judo Gene", ----also billed as "The toughest Man in the WORLD". (google the name Gene Lebelle and get all the facts)---anyway I mention all this as I will be having coffee with Midge in the morning and getting an update how things went in Las Vegas, where Gene had been flown in to judge a "no holds barred" wrestling/boxing match----------the Man is the man, a great guy to meet---but you don't want to make him mad at ya---hell just ask Steven Segal-----(I can't TELL you that story----but ask any stunt men in the industry---they KNOW"

3 comments:

  1. I know if I was a checker I'd be a raving maniac after about a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many times I see the checkers rolling their eyes at the people ahead of us in line ... just imagine what is really on their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it takes a special kind of person to be a GOOD checker in a supermarket! By a good checker, I mean one that says, "Have a nice day, come back again" and really means it, someone that truly enjoys the job. As with all jobs I'm sure it has it's pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.