Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Good bye Cyd

As everyone has no doubt heard, Cyd Charisse has past away. But ohh what a lovely legacy of entertainment she has left us. I can't think of a single dancer today that performs on the levels she demonstrated again and again. Since receiving the sad news, one phrase has been repeating over and over in my head---"GOTTA DANCE---GOTTA DANCE"----you "youngun's" of course have no idea, but for us older people----that was the exciting voice exclaiming the need to dance---and the musical number was played out in the movie , "Singing in the Rain"---and the particular dance number staring Cyd Charisse, dancing with Gene Kelly----you kids have NOTHING to compete with that level of professionalism, and you have my sympathies for that. What you do have of course is that all the good stuff is on film, available to be watched whenever you want good entertainment---but right now---feeling kinda sad---yet another great one gone---and no one even close to replacing the lost.----I think tonight we will pull one off the wall in Memory of Cyd---"Brigadoon"

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! Cyd Charisse, Ann Miller...they know how to dance. I absolutely LOVE the old movies from the 40's and 50's with the dancing and singing and a decent story line. As a girl growing up in the 50's I took dance lessons..tap, ballet and hawaiian. At the age of 10 I wanted to be either a Rockett or dance in movies like Cyd Charisse. Of course that all changed...but I still love to watch the oldies..as you put it..."Good Entertainment". My favorites are the old ones with the huge production numbers. If you look at the faces you will see a young Lucille Ball or maybe Lauren Bacall. Why can't they make good movies like that anymore??

    ReplyDelete
  2. For instance.....Rename your post CYD CHARISSE. There will be people looking her up on GOOGLE now(hopefully) and you might get some accidental tourists. I still can't get feedburner. Come on over to my house and set it up please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they just don's make movies like that any more and it is real sad because all the young people are missing out on what good movies were really like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually know who this is...not personally, but I've heard her before. I can only imagine what times were like then.

    My girlfriend and I are big on going out dancing (country mostly) and sometimes we'll come across an old black and white and watch it. I think the last one we found was a Gene Kelley, not sure what title it was.

    I didn't know that was her name though.

    Oh, I concur with Dana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Younguns? I'd say most of the folks who come here are over 50.
    My favorites were Fred and Ginger. They call this stuff on tv (So you think you can dance) dancing? I call it gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always sad when someone like that pass away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, at my age Demeur, (threescoreplusten-----and counting), I get to call anyone younger than me "youngun"---my pet complaint is, they get to be 50 and they think they know everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She was stunningly beautiful ... it's such a sad loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No G we used to say that about people over 30.

    Hitting 50++ I realize that the more I read and learn, the more I don't know.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.