Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Time For The " 4 Day Work Week"

I have to think , considering the high cost of gasoline, along with the pressure and tension created with the daily commute to and from work, that it makes good sense for companies big and small to consider implementing a standard fixed, four day work week. Yes I am talking about replacing the old 5 day 40 hour work week, with a four day work week. Yes would have to be at least initially 10 hour days----and companies would have to adjust the hourly rates to spread over the four days to in effect achieve the same weekly paychecks---it would of necessity be a somewhat complex formula when it comes time to paying time and a half for overtime, and double time for holidays etc, but it can be worked out (that's what computers are for right?).
Now just think of it----lets say your work week is Monday thru Thursday---this means you would be off FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY----and are ya ready, you would also be off on all those Monday holidays too---long weekends, time to get those dental appointments or other personal business things done that before ya had to take time off from work to get done. long weekends to do all that fun stuff at home at a more leisurely pace, like laundry, cutting the grass, etc.
Think too, only having to commute to work four days a week, instead of five---that's a 20% reduction in gas right there---at $4.50/gal, figure out how much a month you save right there.---now lets see, if I save 1 1/2 gallons a week, at 4 1/2 bucks a gallon, times 4 1/3 weeks a month, times 12 months a year----hmmm that comes to---?????-----oooooooh my goodness, eeeeehaw!!!!!
One has to kinda wonder how OPEC would react if we here in the GOOD OLD USA, suddenly chopped our oil orders by 20 percent----You all might just want to talk to your bosses seriously about considering this change---its a win win for everybody (except maybe them OIL barons over in OPEC )

10 comments:

  1. I think that's an excellent idea Gary! Albeit a better one would be for everyone to ride a bike, but reducing the amount of time we spend on the streets putting around is surely called for these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am already at a 3 day work week. Do you think I can cut back to two?? Would you talk to me boss for me??LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea... I am in Korea now, they work 5.5 day work weeks and they are paying about $8 a gallon. Count them blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually heard of people that are already doing this here in Nashville. I think it's a fantastic idea and sensible solution to the gas problem. Wish I could do it...but then I only drive 5 miles (that's round trip) to work each day so I really don't need to conserve much. I fill my tank every two weeks. Of course if I had any kind of social life (besides the computer) I might need to buy gas more often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gary, It is a good idea but is it a solution for the gas problem ? Here in France we work 35 hours/week so we have free time to leave for week-end with our car thus... Here in France the gasoline costs $2/liter (€1.50)(let say if I am correct $6 or $7 for 1 Us gallon)and in spite of the price people take the car.. Even if we are suffering of the high price of the gasoil we are not ready to change our mind or make efforts to consume less gasoline. Maybe we will all be obliged to make these efforts in the future with no choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good point Helene, but we are required to go to our jobs some number of times a week, five days a week mostly here in the USA, (4ohr/wk),by cutting the number of days one has to drive to work, one saves on that much gas milage as a minimum. I would think too, that if more businesses say were closed (not having to be open say five days a week) there would be a considerable drop in the overall need for electricity, and a resulting fuel savings not having to produce said needed electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes of course,Gary, you are right. If each of us reduces our needs of gas and electricity maybe we can do something for saving the planet...Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just heard on the news somewhere that some big city (can't remember which one) is going to a mandatory 4 day a week work week. I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.