Friday, July 18, 2008

Well Its Friday Already----Again.

I'm not ready for another friday.  Like why should I treat it like it was some special day---its no longer than any other day----and as far as I know the day can make no claim to have better weather over other days of the week.----and hello, the sun comes up in the east and sets in the west just like it does every other day of the week.
     Course for the kids who go to school, or are cursed with having to work, I suppose to most of them Friday signals a temporary respite from having to learn, or work----I have to admit there was a time in my life when Fridays were kinda milestone points.----Wednesdays were "Hump" days, Mondays, were Mondays, and the rest of the days of the week were just filler-----.
     Now I am retired, and I have no real locked in agenda that has to be adhered too----but what I do have is a pretty much locked in routine----only my routine is for everyday, so that the days have no distinction from each other---they are all alike----and whats odd is---I complain about this sameness, and yet get uptight and crotchety if anything impacts the routine and changes it----whoa, talk about double approach-avoidance conflicts---- (another one of those things I learned back in Psychology 101, my first year away from home , a freshmen at the U of Colorado in Boulder----the old doubled approach avoidance conflict gambit----its really not funny, yet it is in a way.
     In a standard approach avoidance conflict, an individual approaches a task or scene that he/she is uncomfortable with---and subconsciously takes whatever action is necessary to avoid it, postpone it, or ignore it. with a resulting amount of guilt, but not enough to overcome the desire to avoid the situation.  Now in the double approach avoidance conflict.  it goes like this.  One knows one should do something that one doesn't want to do, and the closer one gets to having to do it, the more he/she tries to avoid it----but now----the same individual, as they back away or avoid the task, they now begin to feel so much guilt that they again want to go back an do the task they first tried to avoid, and now they are trapped in the double approach/avoidance gambit.---unable to bring themself to do the task, and unwilling to accept the guilt of not doing it------don't ya just hate that when you find yourself in these kind of quandries.  Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't-----whats a boy to do???
     Fortunately, THIS boy came into the world loaded up big time on being stubbord and with a high threshold for guilt.  Armed with these two useful attributes, I have learned if I can hold out (read procrastinate) long enough, ignore the level of guilt (masichism do your stuff), most situations evolve and the double approach boundaries evaporate at one end or the other and the situation gets resolved, sometime with me doing the task I did my best to avoid but the guilt finally got to me and I do it----or I find a way to get the task done without MY having to do it-----(I think of this last as the ever popular Tom Sawyer White Wash Gambit).
     So according to the Calendar, its Friday again-----same as last friday, same as next friday----well actually thats not quite true---today I DID something different---I called Enterprise and reserved a car rental  for tomorrow's drive down to Lake Forrest and a family gathering I committed to some weeks back.---which , gosh darn it means TOMMORROW's schedule is gonna be all outta whack, and its my night to cook dinner, but what time am I gonna be back from Lake Forrest, and how am I gonna feel about cooking when I do get home-----damnit!!, damnit all to hell!!-- my routine is all screwed up!!!  HOW DID this happen???----family is great to have-----but damn they sure can get inconvient at times----but would we have it any other way??
     For those that hang on my blog imputs, tomorrow is gonna be slim pickings---off to pick up the car rental, then off on the road, not sure how long the party will last but I don't expect to be back here , home til maybe 5pm---and then I got to cook dinner for me and the LP---might be no blog inputs at all tomorrow---will try and take some pics at the gathering and have something to input Sunday , and get back to a more normal blog schedule----but damn I think I committed to another family thing on the 28th------??---WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE!!!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe Tish will let you bring some dinner home for LP and you won't have to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One knows one should do something that one doesn't want to do, and the closer one gets to having to do it, the more he/she tries to avoid it----but now----the same individual, as they back away or avoid the task, they now begin to feel so much guilt that they again want to go back an do the task they first tried to avoid, and now they are trapped in the double approach/avoidance gambit.---unable to bring themself to do the task, and unwilling to accept the guilt of not doing it------don't ya just hate that when you find yourself in these kind of quandries.

    Good heavens, man. You just described me.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.