Friday, July 25, 2008

Where Are The Buffalo Bills Today?

I worry about the sad state of Pop Music today. Nobody is writing good songs anymore, or damn few of em anyway. On Broadway, its mostly reprising of the old great musicals. I must say its a good sign to see that the demand for tickets to these old redone musicals is so popular, shows there is a demand for good music.
When I say good music, I am of course making reference to those instrumentals that have us tapping our feet, and those songs that we find our self humming, and doing our best to recall all the great catchy lyrics to.
Okay, okay, so what has this got to do with Buffalo Bill you ask----and the answer is, nothing with the character Buffalo Bill----but a lot to do with the barbershop quartet who called themselves ," The Buffalo Bills"----who can forget their rendition of "Lyda Rose", in the movie version of "The Music Man" ---or the poignancy of the lyrics they sang------"Where is the SIN in SINcere?----Where is the GOOD in GOODbye" I'm telling ya, they just aren't writing good songs anymore.
It use to be young people would meet, date, and they would have "Their Song", most likely some hit parade song of that point in time----probably sung by a top singer, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Elvis Presley, Doris Day, Patti Page, or big name groups like the Ink Spots, the Modernaires, The Beatles, and such. Today we don't have this quality of music, we got rap protestors, and loud guitar stuff, that you can't remember the next day, and all done my artists that make one big hit and then are never heard from again.
Its not really surprising that the radio stations today give a lot of play time to the music of the 40's, 50's, 60's and the 70's-----since then its been slowly going down hill. ---where are the "Buffalo Bills" today?

2 comments:

  1. I SOOOO agree with you Gary..."our" music was so much better than the crap they have today. But then..didn't our parents say the same thing? Of course in our case it's true! I sometimes think I was born in the wrong era as I just love the old swing tunes and the big band music, but I love the 50's, 60's and 70's music as well. After the 80's it pretty much turned to junk as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some good music just not as much. John Mayer, Jack Johnson, etc. Frank (gary's brother) loved all that music. I can remember him dancing with my babies to all of it. He had quite a collection. I believe Tish still has it all.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.