Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We Had an Earthquake and I didn't even get a t-shirt

Just before noon today Southern California experienced a good size earthquake. The center of it was In the Chino Hills, and I guess about 8 miles underground. It was measured at 5.4 on the Richter scale, and lasted a 50-60 seconds. It was like riding a roller coaster, once past my initial panic, shut down the computer---incorrectly, but I wanted to get off line before we saw a power surge, and also I wanted to move away from the living room floor to ceiling windows next to my computer station----but then it was over, and ran in to check on the LP in the den, he was already watching some TV station and getting information, like where how big etc, etc, etc..
I did notice it was big enough to slosh water out of the pool (pretty sure pools are not noted for their white cap waves). Other than shaken nerves no damage here. Better yet friends and relatives that live much closer to the epicenter all reported they were okay, ---"shook up good" was one phrase given. For the last several hours all one gets on TV has been reports about this or that city agency being on the ball and dealing with the incident. No lives lost, no schools damaged etc-----one scientist ranting that THIS quake was not the BIG one everyone predicts we are do to have in the next 10 years, that one they estimate will run close to 9 on the Richter scale, which is a magnitude of about 500 times stronger------frankly I survived the 1994 Northridge quake (epicenter about 8 miles from here) measured at 6.9----I woke up kissing my butt good bye that morning-----(shudder). (I didn't get the T-shirt darn it). I don't want to feel what a 9.0 might be like.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad you are & LP are OK. I was at work and it was a little scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thought Judi, these things happen---not nice to fool Mother Nature---but ya gotta admit once the facts are known, looking backit was kinda a fun thrill. (not one wants to do often thats for sure), but I figure we should be good for another couple years-----I can LIVE with the smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I would be losing my mind. I'll take a tornado over that anyday. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad y'all are OK...I just can't imagine...I would have definately panicked!!! Of course it was breaking news in VA, crazy! It was hilarious seeing the Judge Judy show being taped on TV (that's all we're hearing on the radio and TV's), all the people running out of the court room except for the plantiff and defendant who still looked mad at the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ... I can't even imagine living in an area in which earth quakes happen.

    Glad everyone is okay!

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.