Thursday, July 24, 2008

BLESS YOU MARY POPPINS!!

I swear if we didn't have music and fun memories a person would have a truly dreary life.  TODAY, being Thursday, and as all my groupies could tell ya---that means its "FLUFF N FOLD TIME".  (yaaaaaaay).  I guess I have been doing my own laundry since I was around 18, the year I succeeded in moving away from home under the guise of my Parents thinking they were sending me away to school to get educated---at least that was how I saw that milestone event----a few monthes later, got a whole different perspective on that---but I digress).  In short over the years I have learned to become somewhat profficient at doing laundry.  To listen to all the whining women they make it sound like a thankless  burdensome, drudge---and I guess if one is prone to be negative in ones outlook, one might see it that way.  I however choose to see it as a task needing to be done regularly, more or less, so one might as well make it a pleasant task.  (that commotion you hear in the background is about a million moms, muttering uh-huh ---laundry is a pleasant task, yeahh and they got bridges to sell me).
     Okay, maybe saying it can be a pleasant task is pushing things a touch to far---but no reason the time can't be made a pleasant one---or at least one with a minimum of loud anglo saxon utterances.  Take today for example.
     I arrived at the Laundrymat and carry in my large basket of "distressed linens", along with my bag of soaps, sprays, and clothes washing chemicals and such, plus my constant companion , the current book from the Library that I am reading  (For those curious to know what the old dude reads for fun and relaxtion, this week its a  novel by James Patterson, titled, "Cradle And ALL"---just started it and so far we got two modern day "Virgin Mary" teen girls, a baffled Clergy, major outbreaks of a new polio epidemic in Los Angeles and Boston----and couple other major invironmental disasters in other parts of the world----and all this in just the first couple chapters----good book---but again I digress)---where was I--??---ooh yes, I walk into the laundramat, and efficiently go about sorting colors from the whites, and a third pile for just the sheets and pillow cases to go in the "permenent press" wash.  about this time in the back of my head, I begin to "hear" the music to fit my task. 
     I believe most all of you have seen the Movie, "Mary Poppins", starring, Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. ---anyway there I am, (fortunately nobody else in the place that early) kinda mumbling to myself , kinda grinning over it all, and humming along to the song from the movie, you know the one, where they are on the roof and all the chimmney sweeps do this wild spirited dance---can't quite pull up the title of that particular song, but in the movie it was loudly exclaimed , "ITS SOMETHING SOMETHING TIME",and off into the dance sequence they went---me the song in my head putting my stuff in the washers, and tossing in the required soaps and bleaches---"---its LAUNDRY TIME!!".   Anyway, made the task a bit brighter and doable ----course gonna go nuts now til I figure out tyhe whole song and the lyrics-----(maybe my good buddy Sue will google it and let me know--she kinda owes me for the "old dudes rule, young dudes drool" post I made late yesterday at her suggestion..)
     Once again I am now back at the Castle, all properly fluffed and folded---the empty laundry basket is once more my friend------gonna go treat myself to a cup of coffee, and contemplate what my NEXT post will be about.   Have I told ya about the time I almost became a cook in the Army?------

5 comments:

  1. From Wendy's blog...OK...Lake Gaston is just a lake about an hour and a half from Franklin, VA...a popular summer spot for us country folks. Very relaxing and fun there! The Luray Caverns are in Luray, VA, in the mountains of VA...another vacationing spot! It's beautiful there! Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Mary Poppins ... isn't that sad??? I'm definately going to rent it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I've only seen it once myself as a child and don't remember that song at all. But...google I did for you my friend. I believe this is the song you are thinking of:

    Bert, Chimney Sweeps and Cast:
    Step in time, step in time
    Come on, mateys, step in time
    Step in time
    Step in time, step in time
    Step in time, step in time
    Never need a reason,
    Never need a rhyme
    Step in time, you step in time!

    Kick your knees up!
    Kick your knees up, step in time
    Kick your knees up, step in time
    Never need a reason,
    Never need a rhyme
    Kick your knees up, step in time

    Round the chimney!
    Round the chimney, step in time
    Round the chimney, step in time
    Never need a reason,
    Never need a rhyme
    Round the chimney, step in time

    Flap like a birdie!
    Flap like a birdie, step in time
    Flap like a birdie, step in time
    Never need a reason,
    Never need a rhyme
    Flap like a birdie, step in time

    Up on the railing!
    Up on the railing, step in time
    Up on the railing, step in time
    Never need a reason,
    Never need a rhyme
    Up on the railing, step in time

    Over the rooftops!
    Over the rooftops, step in time
    Over the rooftops, step in time
    Never need a reason,
    Never need a rhyme... step in time!
    Over the rooftops!
    Over the rooftops!

    Link your elbows!
    Link your elbows, step in time
    Link your elbows, step in time
    Link your elbows
    Link your elbows
    Link your elbows!

    Step in time, step in time
    Step in time, step in time
    Never need a reason,
    Never need a rhyme
    Step in time, you step in time

    Actually...it was longer than this but I figured you'd get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for Sue she always saves the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sue, your a wiz at googling----and I will sleep better tonight now that I am able to get the song outta my head. what did ya thnk of my post "Old dudes Rule- Young dudes drool" post. (YOU GAVE me the title remember?)

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.