Friday, July 25, 2008

Variety Is The Spice of Life

As a minor, I always resented the old maxims being bandied about (hey, whens the LAST time you heard the word "Bandied" used?). You know what I am saying, maxims like, "If its good for the goose its good for the gander", "A rolling stone gathers no moss", or "Spare the rod, spoil the child" (My parents REALLY believed that one---oucha mugoutcha). To me they were always utttered by people who I just classified as being---well lets just say uneducated---but getting through life by copying what their parents and grandparents had done before them. Like Hello, I had been told a zillion times how smart I was, and what a good boy I was. (least thats what my parents told others when they were unaware I was listening) So you can kinda see I had a relatively good reason to believe that I WAS smarter than most------which now that I look back explains why I got the repercussions of "Spare the rod, spoil the child"----.
Course NOW half way through my 4th decade---I am smarter---not so smart elecky---and I just love the old maxims. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", "A stitch in time, saves nine", "an ounce of prevention saves a pound of cure", "A rose by any other name is still a rose". I just wish they taught "maxims" back in early school-----would have made life a lot more understandable---and wouldn't have fallen on my face so often-----I see kids today doing the same dumb things I did---like me---ignoring the old maxims.

4 comments:

  1. That's a good topic let's add to it. Here's mine:
    Measure twice cut once.

    Anybody else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was taught that when you fail at something it is not a failure but an opportunity to learn something.
    I've added your blog to my blog list and thank you for recomendig my blog to Teddy bear lovers.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything."
    My Godmother taught me that one.
    And my Dad taught me this one:
    "You never know what you can do till you try."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like measure twice cut once. Boy that one has paid off over the years for me.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, don't be a nebish---your opinions do count.